Friday, July 25, 2014

Foodie Fridays!

A couple months ago I stumbled across Whole Foods Cranberry Tuna Salad in their deli.

OMG its so freaking tasty! I was eating this every day for lunch until I realized exactly how much money I was spending in this endeavor ($5-$7 a day on just the container of Tuna Salad!) However, I did happen to have a bunch of Tuna in my pantry, so I figured I could work out a way to make it at home. I elected to not make it dead on, and instead I beefed it up with crunchy vegetables - which helped the calories stretch and fill me up more for lunch. It is super friendly on the pocketbook too, as the only more expensive item in it (IE - items more than $2.00) are the cherries. One bag of cherries will last me at least a month of making tuna, so I encourage you to not leave them out of the recipe. Additionally, If you are following a Gluten Free diet - this recipe is Gluten Free by nature!

Strawberry Metals Whole Foods Cranberry Tuna Salad Hack

7 oz. Low Sodium Canned Tuna (The large can that looks like a double can. If you can find No-Sodium Tuna, even better!)
1/2 raw onion, chopped (yellow or red, entirely up to you)
2 stalks raw celery, thinly chopped
1 Large Hand full of Dried Cherries, chopped
4 tbsp. Light Mayonnaise
1/4 tsp. Granulated Sugar or Sugar Substitute
Juice of 1small lemon

Finely shred canned tuna till no large chunks are left. Put in bowl and set aside. Add chopped onion, celery, and dried cherries along with the rest of the ingredients to the tuna and mix well. Serve on a sandwich, with crackers, or with salad greens.

4 servings. Per Serving - 128 Calories, 4.5g Fat, 9.6g Carbs, 12.2g Protein

I have been eating it with Whole Foods Baked Woven-Wheat Crackers (their brand of Triscuits). I'm kind of addicted to this for lunch at the moment. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment